Powered by Blogger.

on stitch fix

by - 10:44 AM

So, now that I'm not working, I've been wanting to blog! But so far, summer has been ALMOST crazier than the school year!  We finally finished out the boys sports seasons, Snip's soccer, and Snail's t-ball, and checked a few things off of our bucket list, including taking the boys to their first Pirate game.  It was a fun time, despite the heat and humidity, and the fact that I felt ill all day, only to end up at Medwell that night and get a positive strep test.  Strep was NOT on the bucket list.  I'm now looking into getting these bastard tonsils out.  I've been asking around, though, and I have heard nothing but horrible things (ok, maybe like 1 in 15 people said it wasn't that bad.)  Regardless, I am trying to take it easy because every time I get strep, I think I'm superwoman as soon as I start to feel the slightest bit better (probably because I literally want to die through those first two days) and then I regret it because my body is not there yet.  So today, I'm taking it slowly.

You can't really tell here, but I wanted to die I felt so crappy!

The boys showing off their McCutchen sleeves!  They were SO excited.  We have some big Cutch fans in this house!

Big Dog and his boys!

A big part of my day is that I bought Nate Ruess's new album!!!!  Grand Romantic is it's name.  It doesn't seem to be getting the best reviews, though what I've heard so far (sitting here listening to it as I type) I LOVE.  But, I think if Nate Ruess sang the song from Barney, I would melt because I love him and his voice is just so unique, he makes anything sound wonderful.


So check it out.  It's interesting and like Nate, very different.

OK.  SO.  Let's get down to it!  STITCH FIX!  Who knows what Stitch Fix is?  I am a newbie to the world of Stitch Fix.  I was introduced to it by a friend, and it got my attention.  Then, right around the same time, I saw ANOTHER friend post what she'd gotten in her fix.  This really got my attention.  So, I started investigating.  

What is Stitch Fix?  If you're not familiar with Stitch Fix, it's an online clothing boutique.  It's for ANYONE, but I think it's geared toward women who just don't have time to go out and take the time to really shop for themselves.  But it's so much more than that because it's also a community (more on that later!)  

Basically, you pay a $20 styling fee (which covers your stylist ((yes, you get your very own stylist!)) to look at your style profile, pick your items, and write you a note), schedule a date for your fix (you can schedule as frequently or infrequently as you want!), and wait for your box of fun to arrive!  You receive 5 items, (anything from tops, bottoms, bags, jewelry, dresses, etc.) and you pick what you want to keep, and send what you don't want back.  You get a 25% discount if you keep everything (more about this later!), you pay full price for everything you keep if you choose to return anything.  Oh, and your $20 styling fee goes toward your order. 

Ok, so first things first.  When you go to the sight, which you can find here, you'll sign up and complete your style profile.  This can be a bit tedious, but if you're serious about this, you should spend some time here.  The site takes the info from here and uses an algorithm and it has a LOT to do with the size and style of clothing you get!  So here, you'll simply answer questions like what size do you usually wear in _____________?  How do you like tops to be, fitted or flowing?  Birth date, height, bra size, etc.  Then there's a section where they show you a bunch of pictures of different styles and you have to rate them.  You can say you love a style all the way to hating the style.  You can tell them what your occupation is, if you're pregnant, what you'd rather keep covered, etc.  It's pretty involved, pretty lengthy.  I'd say 5-10 minutes to fill out.  One of the most important questions for ME was the cost.  In every category, I chose "the cheaper the better!" because while I adore clothes, I don't like to (and don't think you need to) spend a lot of money on them!  OK.  The MOST important part of the style profile is this:  You can link your profile to a PINTEREST BOARD!!!! Do these ladies know what they are doing or what?!?!!?!?  So, for a long time I had a board called "just me" which you can see here.  This is a place where I pinned anything and everything that struck my fancy...from jewelry to quotes, to clothes, to books, to journaling, to hair and well, you get it...things that were "just me."  I told my stylist about this board, but I thought it was a bit "messy" for her, so I created a new board JUST for Stitch Fix stuff.  You can check it out here.  THIS is the one I linked my profile to. MOST of the items in the board are STITCH FIX items.  So this gives you an idea of some of the things that they have to offer.  This is MY STYLE.  If you search Pinterest using the words Stitch Fix, you'll find a million different articles of clothing.  And you'll become familiar with some of the more popular SF brands like Pixley, Papermoon, and Emers.

Anyway, I filled out my profile and set my first delivery for June 11.  You have three days from the day you receive your box to try on and decide what to keep/send back.  First of all, I got my Fix a day early!  I tracked the Fed Ex and was beyond excited and looked out on the porch about 30 times that morning.  It's like Christmas!  Even though I got my Fix on the 10, I still had until the 13 to make my decision.  You get three days according to your scheduled delivery day, no matter what.  So I actually had 4.

In the meantime, my lovely friend Brook, added me to a group on FB, which you can find here.  This may have been one of the most important parts of me joining Stitch Fix.  This community of ladies is AMAZING.  I have already learned so much about style, cut, fashion, texture, it's amazing.  The best part is that everyone posts their Fix and a fashion show when they get their Fixes!  I think my favorite part of this experience has been to see so many different, beautiful body shapes, different ages, women from all over come together to honestly and kindly share our thoughts on how things look on!  It's like having your very own (KIND and FRIENDLY) Fashion Police at your fingertips!!  Also, I told you I'd tell you more about the "25% off if you keep it all" later?  Well, here's where that comes in.  This group is "Stitch Fix B/S/T and discussion"  meaning, "buy, sell, and trade!"  So, examples:  You get your Fix, you like 3/5, you go to the site, post pics of the 2 things you DON'T like, and others can make offers on them and you can sell them to them, or trade if you didn't like the size, or whatever, you get the idea.  Anyway, this allows for you to keep all 5 and get that 25% discount, which is HUGE! 

OK, back to MY fix.  First, let me tell you that I was starting to get a little discouraged because I was following the FB group every day and seeing most women being happy with about 2/5 of the items in their Fix.  Many women were saying that they wondered if their stylist even looked at their Pinterest page?  BUT, the cool part, for me anyway, was that at the worst, I was out $20.  Now for some people that's a really big deal....for me, it's a small price to pay for possibly getting some awesome stuff....and boy, did I!!!!!  OH, and before I show you my fix, here's something I didn't know at first.  If you keep an eye on your account, once your account has shipped, you can go in and see the items you are getting.  You can't actually see what they LOOK like, but you can see the names, styles, etc.  Then, you can either google them, or search them on Pinterest.  It's called "peeking".  When I peeked at mine, I was thrilled to see that all but one of the items I got was from my Pinterest board!!!!!

OK, OK, here we go.  This is what the Stitch Fix box looks like.  
Sorry for the bad pic, it was quick and with my phone, and I never edited it.


When you open it, everything is very prettily (is that a word?) wrapped up in tissue paper with that big turquoise circle on it.  I couldn't wait and ripped it open before I took a pic.

...and this is basically what I saw.  I took the necklace out of the little bag so you could see it better.  Now, let me tell you, I knew I was going to love the black and white thing and the dot thing.  BUT.  Those jeans?  Just wait.

Also, in your box you get a style card, which includes a note from your stylist, and instructions on keeping or sending things back, and the bag to send everything back in!  AWE-Some.  Here's my style card, and a close-up of my note from Brandy.


sorry, can't figure out how to get these the right direction!

Here's what I love about the style card.  First, there are perforated edges, so you can tear this up into 6 cards, to store. Each item you receive, other than jewelry or bags, comes with 2 ways to style.  Also, once you get more fixes, they'll try to style stuff with things they know you've kept from previous fixes.

Ok.  Here goes the fashion show, and some details on everything.



First of up, the Harriet Chevron Print Detail dress.  This is one of the first things I pinned.  I just adored it.  I was surprised at how nicely it fit me!  And how flattering to someone with a little belly! And this material????  Oh my goodness.  I'm going to get so much use out of this!  Brandy suggested styling it with brightly colored shoes, so I tried it on with these red heels that I love.  In my note to my stylist, I said that The Big Dog and I are going to Chicago in a few weeks for a training he has to go to, and that we would have dinners to go to.  Is this not perfect for that?  She LISTENED  to me!!!!  PS.  Check out the necklace!!!!!!!


This is the Leighton Metal Bauble Necklace.  When I searched this after peeking, I saw that it was available in gold, silver, and rose.  I was HOPING for gold, as I'm slightly obsessed with gold.  Guess who got gold??????  I have about 6 million bauble necklaces pinned, but all are colorful...no metallic.  I'm so glad Brandy picked this for me.  I actually thought when I peeked that I may not keep this, because do I really need one more necklace?  Um.  Yes.  I need this necklace.  It is so versatile, it can dress up ANYTHING.  Imagine this with a plaid button down and jeans in the fall?! YUM!

Ok, up next.....this.



OK.  Head to ALMOST toe, Stitch Fix.  This is the Bixby Dot Print Blouse.  Again, something I pinned.  The ONLY thing I don't like about this blouse is that I can't wear it right now!  With the 3/4 length sleeves, I think I'll wait for a much cooler day.  I absolutely love it.  I love the colors, the pattern, and the material is to die for.  You can't see it here, but the buttons on the sleeves are, you guessed it, GOLD!

NOW....about these jeans.  These are the Dilan Distressed Boyfriend Jeans.  I had seriously JUST told a friend that I would never wear boyfriend jeans because I just didn't think they'd look good on me.  And then I peeked.  And searched, and saw theses.  I was like "Oh, hell no.  Going back!!"  Especially since they were distressed and so light in the wash.  I am 37.  I thought I would look like i was trying way too hard to be trendy if I kept and wore these.

So, I went to the FB group and posted this pic.  The comments I got were all so positive and so many people said that age doesn't matter, etc. and wow, did I change my mind.  Also, if you could feel these...or better yet, WEAR them....you'd want to live in them, too.  I wore them to the Pirate game this past weekend.  I went OUT of my comfort zone, and I ADORE them!  I want to wear them every. single. day.

PS, the sandals are Old Navy, and the most comfortable sandals I've ever owned!!!!

OK, OK, last item.  I thought for SURE I'd be sending this back.  I'm not sure if I pinned this or not, honestly can't remember.  



This is the McQue Solid Lace Sleeve Blouse.  It wasn't that I didn't think I'd like it, but it wasn't something I was dying to have.  Then I tried it on.  First of all, navy might be one of my favorite colors to wear.  The detail on the sleeves is sooooo pretty.  This would be great with a skirt, skinny jeans, etc.  In fact, for my next fix, I may request the cute skirt Brandy showed on the style card, that yellow one?  Right!?!  With red flats?  OH, yes.  I have a coral bauble necklace and a yellow bauble necklace that would also be great with this.  I think it looks nice with my new favorite jeans, too.

So, what do you think? I was REALLY lucky to get a 5/5 first Fix!!!  I kept everything!  I know, you're dying to know the final cost, right???  Well, keep in mind that I kept everything, so I got a 25% discount.  I also  had already paid my $20 styling fee, which went to my total.  
Sorry the quality of this pic is sort of bad, don't know what happened there!


So, while my entire fix was $292 (WHAT????) I only paid $199!!!  (WHAT???)  With that discount, and my styling fee, which I paid a month ago, I saved $93!  So, yes, the jeans were super expensive, for me.  I have NEVER spent that much on jeans in my LIFE.  Ever.  BUT.  I love them, and I'll wear them a lot.  I am very, very happy with what I received and what I'm paying.  

Now, I scheduled my next fix, but it's not until August 5!  And, again, you only need to keep what you want, or what you can afford!

Stitch fix is NOT for everyone, I totally get that.  However, I was talking about it with a friend, and she said that she can never find jeans that fit her right.  This just might be the answer. Also, it's pushed me to go outside of my comfort zone.  And, I have come to find that I love fashion and clothes more than I ever realized I did!! I may never keep a thing from SF again, but this first time was worth signing up and experimenting.  Let me know what you think!

Bye for now!
~jenn


You May Also Like

0 comments