Powered by Blogger.

Volcanoes and Soap Suds

by - 5:55 AM

 Per my post last Friday, I'm really trying to do this more.  So, here I am!  

First of all, thanks to everyone who shared my little corner of the blogosphere for others to read.  I started it more for myself, kind of like a journal for our family, and for myself.  To see that others enjoy reading what I write makes me oh so very happy!  So, THANK YOU!!!

**********

So, as we age, there are things about us that are changing.  Obviously.  Especially if we have had a kid here or there.  Or three.  My feet grew a whole size after I had Snip.   A whole freaking size.  And yes, I had bought a shit-ton of shoes the fall before he was born, before I knew I was pregnant.  Also, I'm pretty sure I lose 1/4 of my hair every day.  Hormones.  I have wrinkles an lines on my forehead and near my mouth and eyes.  I'm really ok with those.  They show that I've had a great life this far with lots of "SHUT UP!"s (imagine eyes opening wide and forehead squishing up) and "WTF!?s" (imagine eyes squinting together and forehead wrinkling down), "O.M.G."s (imagine jaw dropping and eyebrows raising), and lots of laughter.  Lots of it.  I don't mind the wrinkles, lines, clumps of hair that I lose every day in the shower, the wider hips, the bigger feet.  I don't even mind the age spots because they remind me of my mom and my grandma, as they each had and have them on their arms and I just find them beautiful. 

What I do mind, is waking up at the ripe old age of 36 to find a volcano about to erupt on my face.  Or, for me, it's usually my chin.  Oh, wait, you're unfamiliar with volcanoes?  Well, let me enlighten you.



(PS, please note that this is clearly a combination of a "WTF?", "SHUT UP!", and "OMG.")
Look. at. the size. of. it.

WTH?  Seriously?  Mountain.  Volcano.  Crater.  Meteor.  Planet.  It has it's own heartbeat.  Whatever you chose to call it, you know what it is.  Pimple.  Zit.  But this was one of those ones that is just sort of flat, but so painful.  Ugh.  Awesome.  

DO.
NOT.
TOUCH.

please go away.
 I mean, really, I'm 36.  I dealt with this when I was 15. I paid my dues to the God's of Acne.  I don't need you around now, 20 years later.
go away.
So there's that.  

On Saturday one of my BFF's and I took a little road trip to the outlets to shop till we dropped.  Literally, my feet felt like they'd fall off by the time we jumped into the car at the end of the day.  My phone tracked 9,000 some steps.  It was fun to shop with my BFF's daughter, who will be 11 (WHAT?) in September.  She is such a good girl.  My friend is such an amazing mom!  It was fun to see the girly stuff she picked.  I also learned that I would def. suck as the mom of a girl.  #1, everything I picked out and said "Oh, look, Bren, this is so cute!" she'd just look at me like "Aunt Jenn, you are so old."  I mean, I felt like an old lady.  #2, I would be in so much trouble if I had a little girl.  It's easy to shop for S, S, and P.  Find a soccer shirt?  A football shirt?  Some jeans?  A button down?  Good to go.  But the colors and the patterns...the little stars and the coral and the navy and the pink and the gold and the silver and the mix and match and the bright colors and the greys and the stripes and the polka dots...wowza, I'd be in some serious trouble.  How do you moms of daughters not go into debt?!

The boys are set to go for the first days of school, except for their backpacks.  Pretty pumped about being done so early, as I'm usually busting my ass the weekend before school.  We met my cousin and her kids for a super late dinner at Ruby Tuesday (hello salad bar!) and laughed until we hurt.  I tried really hard to walk around to get my phone to 10,000 steps, and I may or may not have made a fool of myself dancing to and from the salad bar with my phone, but I only made it to 9,898.  I know, I should have run around my house when I got home, but I figure that the times I was walking around and didn't have it on me, I totally walked at least 10,000 steps!  The only thing I bought were these adorable pj pants.  Because I love birds, pink and navy.



While I was shopping, the Big Dog took Snip and Snail to their first Steeler Camp. The Pittsburgh Steelers have their camp about 45 minutes from our house. I took Snip when he was 11 months old, but this was the first time they've gone where they could enjoy and appreciate.  So, they all went and got completely soaked in the torrential downpour that took place.  There were lots of crazy storms on Saturday.  The Big Dog took their pics behind the Big Ben (statue)?  I think they look hilarious, and I just have to crack up at Big Dog's photography skills.


Snip as Big Ben


Snail as Big Ben



I do have to say that he did a good job with this one!

I didn't pull into the garage until 12:30 am, and two very sleepy, but eager boys still were awake enough to try on their new school shoes.  They were so excited!....and then they were snoring!


Sunday we took a trip to Lowes to pick out our backsplash for our kitchen reno that is happening THIS WEEK!  I have gone back and forth and back and forth.  I was totally convinced for a long time that I was going to go with straight white subway tile.  But the more I thought about it, with our granite, which is mostly creamy white with black, grey, red, and sliver throughout, and painting our cabinets antique white later, I thought the white subway tiles would have been too much white.  So, I found this.  Eeek!!  So excited!!!  I think with this being between the white-ish counters and the white-ish cabinets, it will be perfect!!!




#96, I heart you!



Here it is up against our granite.


It's kind of a hard to explain the color.  In some light it looks olive-ish, in some light it looks grey.  It's glass, which I LOVE, and it's bigger than the subway tile, so it's just different enough!  So, our contractor (who is a great friend) came and took out the sink, cook-top, and all of the counters off.  Being without a functioning kitchen hasn't been as hard as I thought.  It's nice having my parents' house to go to  I can NOT wait!  We also got our under-cabinet lighting, which I think will make such a huge difference.  Super excited to see it all come together!

We celebrated these two amazing people on Sunday...


They have been married for 39 years!  And they are still so sweet and in love.  I don't know a better example of a loving marriage.  They amaze me.  Wish I would have taken more pics today, but between getting the Puppy to the potty every 30 min, making sure everyone was eating and drinking and not making a mess, and being well-behaved, well, taking pics was the last thing I was thinking about!  Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!

On Tuesday we spent the day at my parents' house.  With no counters/functioning kitchen, I couldn't properly watch my niece and nephew at our house.  Plus, it would have been dangerous as there are lots of tools, torn up counter, rust, etc. around.  So we all went to Grandma Judie's for the day.  We had tons of fun playing on the porch, having lunch together, and playing in the sandbox.  This little girl was spent and pretty much collapsed to the couch on the porch after asking "Aunt Jenn, can I have my binky?"  Why yes, girlfriend, you can.



....and that was that.  

And while she slept, we whisper-laughed and giggled at this little guy...


They're awesome kids.

And later after they left and we had dinner it was time for "reading" quad  magazines...



...and washing the quads.








Lastly, here are some current obsessions!

1) favorite snack:  hummus.  any kind, anywhere.  I make it, eat it, and when it's gone, I make more.
2) colors: pink, coral, navy, gold....anything I can find with these colors and combinations...oh, just in love.  
3) patterns: stars, stripes, birds, feathers, arrows, owls
4) almond milk:  can't drink it straight-up, but I love it in anything else.  and I love that it's helping my Snip's pooping issues even more.
5) brie cheese:  cause it's cheese.  and it's soft.  and it's yummy.  and when I went to that restaurant the other night, I got my blueberry and brie salad, just like always, and it comes with this gorgeous, caramelized wedge of brie.  I so tried to recreate this, but I was not successful.  Guess I need to research that a little more.  It's still super yummy, no matter how you eat it.  And creamy?  Oh Lawd.
6) Songs: On Top of the World by Imagine Dragons and We Are Done by The Madden Brothers.  On Top of the World is just a happy, fun, song and just talks about how you should tell people how you feel about them NOW...don't wait until they're gone.  It makes me smile and my boys, mom, and I totally had a dance party to it the other night at her house.




Here's the video.  I dare you to listen not dance or whistle just a little.  Dan Reynolds = <3

We Are Done is great...."Done with being a silent many, every word rings out and carries, no, we won't just go back home without you hearing the sound of the many say, we are done."  Eeeeks, I love it.  Not to mention that the music is catchy and fun.  And The Madden Brothers are not ugly.  Here's the video.

7) Coral nail polish, purple/grey nail polish....



A few pics of pure joy that boys get in playing in soapy water.




Can't wait to show the total kitchen renovation next week!

That's it for me....bye for now!

~jenn



You May Also Like

0 comments